Sunday, May 1, 2011

20 Months. . .







JJ is now 20 months old; officially out of the "teens"! He is talking a ton and makes us laugh and cry every day. Laughing - his funny antics. Crying - today when he bit my chest so hard it broke the skin!!!

One of my new favorite things that he just started doing is telling us when he's happy. We bought him a new bike on Friday and he was so excited at the store. He threw a huge fit when I had to go through the line to buy it and Brian tried to take him out of the store. When he saw it still in the cart on the way out the door, he got really excited. The whole car ride home, all we heard from him was "my bike, mine, mine, bike, bike, my bike, mine, bike" over and over again. When we got home and took it out of the car, he immediately got on it and started saying, "happy, happy, happy, happy, happy"! He really does love his new bike!

I am afraid that he is starting to show one significant "Cook-ism" though. . . apologizing. If you know my dad and I, you know that we apologize for things all the time and are constantly asked, why is it your fault, why are you apologizing?!?! It's definitely a family trait that I appear to be passing on to JJ. I say sorry to him all the time and now he has started saying it. Most of the time it's used appropriately, but this morning I realized how much he really does learn from us. We were leaving church, he was walking and this woman said hi to him. He turned to look and in doing so he fell down. He then looked at her and said, "sorry, fell, I fell"! Why did he feel the need to apologize for this!?!?!?!? He's definitely learning from my constant feelings of guilt!!!

We ended up having a VERY eventful evening today. JJ hadn't had peanut butter yet and I was waiting for Brian to get home to try it out, so this afternoon after his nap, we decided to give it to him. He actually said "no" when we said we wanted to give it to him, but we kind of pushed it on him by dipping an animal cracker in the peanut butter, so then he ate some. He had a very small amount and seemed ok with it. We then got ready to go have a picnic on the beach, pb & j and all. About 10 minutes later we were walking down the stairs to leave and saw our neighbor. I told her we had given JJ peanut butter for the first time and she said it didn't look like it was going well. He had sneezed a few times before we left and had been rubbing his eyes a lot like there was something in them, so Brian had tried to wash his eyes out, but when she said this the light bulb finally went on! We went down to the car and left and JJ continued to get worse, his face got more red, his eyes became almost swollen shut, his legs and arms started to break out in hives, and he couldn't stop scratching. After a conversation with my mom and the on-call nurse at the pediatrician's office we headed to urgent care very fast! He slowly started to get better and we saw the doctor who just confirmed what we thought - JJ has a severe peanut allergy. We are now the owners of 2 epipens and JJ didn't get to eat his pb & j for dinner : ( We'll do a follow-up with his pediatrician sometime in the next few weeks to discuss allergy testing, which won't be fun. Brian was allergic to peanuts as a baby and grew out of it, so hopefully JJ will do the same. Needless to say we didn't get our fun picnic at the beach for dinner, but I was super glad Brian was home today!!!

1 comment:

  1. You all have had quite a weekend! What a normal, cute, energetic 20 month-old you have. Loved the bike story; the allergeric story certainly was an episode I hope you don't have to go through again. I've never had that experience except for Joy when she was little and had asthma so horribly. Not fun! Welcome home Brian - JJ needs to go to the hospital!

    ReplyDelete