Friday, May 13, 2011

Growing up sooo fast. . .


Hanging with Daddy in the morning before I got up. One of the best parts of Brian being home - I can stay in bed in the morning!










Watching silly Daddy rolling down the hill : )


It appears that we've made it through the week! Brian went back to work and had his first "duty day" away from us. I finished my finals. JJ got to hang out with his friends. We all survived! We went to the zoo yesterday and the park today. It was a hectic week which luckily flew by.

JJ's been talking more and more all the time. He will say the most funny and random things that sometimes only I will understand. He also notice everything. Yesterday we were driving down the road and he started yelling "airplane." Sure enough, there was an airplane. Then about three minutes later he started yelling "trash can." I was a little confused, so I just agreed with him, but then I noticed there was a semi-truck with dumpsters on the back a few cars up from us! He is so observant!

Today, three times he really showed just how old he's getting -
1. We were getting ready to go to the park and JJ was carrying around the case to is favorite movie, Cars. Brian said he needed to put the DVD away and JJ looked at him and said, "why?" to which Brian said "because I said so." Needless to say I decided that he didn't actually ask that because he's too young to start that and JJ didn't put the DVD away.
2. Then, when we were in the car on the way home from the park, JJ was dumping goldfish crackers all over himself and the car. I told him to stop and he looked at me and said "why?" and I answered "because you're making a mess." He then said "um huh" and stopped doing it for a few minutes.
3. During dinner tonight, he refused to drink out of a sippy cup or straw and would only drink out of a "real" cup. Towards the end of dinner he decided it would be fun to put his fork into the cup and then try and drink off of the fork. To me, this was unacceptable dinner table behavior! I told him to stop putting his silverware in his cup or I would take his juice away. He looked at me and said, "why?" to which I said "because your silverware doesn't go in your cup." JJ looked at me and said "why?" I answered "because your silverware is for eating food, not for putting in your cup." He said "why?" to which Brian answered "because Mommy told you so." And again, JJ asks "why?" and I, almost in tears, answer "are we really to this point of asking why?!?!?!?!"

Now I'm sure he is learning by example by watching other kids ask their parents this same question and I also ask him this all the time (i.e. JJ, why are you rolling around on the floor yelling about nothing), but it still surprised me that he is already at this stage!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. I love the seeing things in the car story because that always tickled me that children in car seats have a whole different view!

    "Why...." going to go on for a loooong time!

    Great pics.

    Love, Mom and the Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why?
    Are we there yet?
    How come I have to do that?
    I don't want to do that!
    They're coming - be prepared. Fun, fun, fun pictures. And, rolling down a hill isn't silly-even I used to do it! Congratulations on finishing school! Sounds like you all are getting back into the 'normal' schedule.
    Love, Rosalee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate the whys!!! It's one thing if they stopped after you actually told them why.. but they usually don't! I am always amazed at what Elijah sees from his car seat, too. We have had many similar conversations where I play along and agree with him before realizing that he was right!

    ReplyDelete